Monday 17 July 2017

Mistakes were Made: Eris is Goddess

"Eris" is the goddess of strife and discord in Greek Mythology. I was going to name the next part of Amerika bombers series after Eris, but it turns out she already got one over on me. I used to host images on photobucket, back when the service was better, and most early blog images were hosted there. A while ago I started using google's hosting ability instead, and turned to imgur for forum image hosting. I forgot all about photobucket - until it started blocking my images because I used too much traffic for their free account. So I'm going to go through all posts and redo the images with google hosting. And also this time delete all my photos off of photobucket.

Update 7/21/2017: Finished updating; there should be no more broken images.

2 comments:

  1. Ha- that explains why some zeppelin images were gone when I looked back again recently- and I thought it was my fault somehow... And now this funky ejection seat mod appears here too, where it didn't a couple of days ago.
    Actually, thinking of Eris and ejection seats, wouldn't it be more in context to have a picture of a Do-335 whose design featured an ejection seat and tail fin which the pilot could jettison, so making the above gadget unnecessary? That sounds good, but the Eris part comes in where the pilot had to manually jettison the cockpit cover first before triggering the seat...supposedly the twin levers to open the hatch were mounted on the rim of the opening section so would entangle the hands when the canopy was ripped off in the slipstream, which would then tear both your arms clean off, leaving you unable to activate the eject trigger so you could only watch your final moments bleeding and helplessly strapped in...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That...does sound like an Eris ejection system, yes

    The "flinger" style ejection seat was something the British looked at as a safer way to get out of an airplane. I think the key component was some sort of socketed vest that would plug into the, hm, 'flinger'.

    ReplyDelete