Sunday 24 November 2013

An explanation for the intense Condor posts, and in many ways this blog

 When I was a teenager reading books about World War 2, I always found the Condor very interesting, because it was always mentioned, but rarely talked about in any detail. So as a kid knowing that it was both really atypical for a Luftwaffe aircraft (being four engined and really long range) and knowing how many problems the 'no long-range bomber' thing caused Germany, I always wanted more detail then I was finding. Many years later, I got into scale modeling again and accomplished a little dream, building a 1/72 model of the Fw 200. Whenever I build a model, I usually end up doing a fair bit of reading, both for historical accuracy, and because if I've bought a model kit of something, it usually mean I find the subject interesting.

As this particular kit took me a long time and was very detailed, I ended up doing a metric fuckton of research. And then after the model was done, I had to tell other people what I'd learned...

Most of the things on this blog are the products of this (admittedly) kinda weird cycle.

(The kit was Revell Germany's C-8 Condor, which I'd recomend to anyone interested in building a Fw 200. The only caution is that the kit's radar antenna are molded in plastic, and thus, are not very good. Look to the aftermarket for photoetch antennae if these things bother you [IE you are me].)

No comments:

Post a Comment