Saturday 15 April 2017

1/700 Kirov Class Battlecruiser

Finished a new model some time ago: the 1/700 Admiral Nakhimov from Dragon/Cyber Hobby.


It came out of a Cyber Hobby Orange box. For those that don't know, Orange Box is Dragon's bargain boxes: older molds sold cheaper, often with multiple kits/nice extras.  The Admiral Nakhimov is practically an action playset: in addition to the Nakhimov, the kit comes with a Los Angeles class submarine, Several Ka-27 helicopters, a S-3 Viking, a P-3 Orion, and a Seahawk helicopter. The kit itself is pretty good I think; the only place you feel like you are missing something is photo-etch for the antennas. PE also would have been good for the helicopter rotor blades. 




It's been a very long time since I built a ship, so I approached the whole thing as a learning experience. Getting the right color for the anti-fouling paint on the deck proved challenging - I think it is a blend of three different colors - and masking the helicopter deck took a few tries. But the future coats, and the dullcoat at the end helped blend the colors. 


I want to make a sea base for the Nakimov if I can find the time. She's sailing through tables and shelves until then.




If you want to build a 1/700 Kirov class battlecruiser, Revell Germany has just released what I suspect is a rebox of this very kit. Dragon is doing a rebox of this kit as well - except they are including PE for the fine antennas, so I'd get that one.

In addition to just wanting to try out some new stuff, I got this kit because I've always found the Kirov class fascinating. I actually have some light infodumping prepared on this subject, so I'll be able to tell you why...

No comments:

Post a Comment